Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting solution entails stashing and/or sharing given content on a web server handled by a hosting company. There are different categories of hosting services used for various aims, so let's study these. In that way, you can elect what you want, based on whether you'd like to create a web portal, mailbox accounts, or to share files with comrades and partners.
- File hosting: a solution offered by some vendors, which enables you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file storage accounts are frequently supported by exhibiting adverts beside the download links, while a timer makes you await a given amount of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you purchase a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally improper interpretation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would share the workload between individual sets of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different web page hosting services (electronic mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a variety of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given vendors provide a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting kind is appropriate if you wish to share a large number of pics with comrades or partners since the solution is mostly free of cost. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to managing your mailbox accounts. Some distributors provide web page hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an email service. If you desire to manage a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to run a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can create mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video files and several hundred web page visitors, you may have difficulty with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will enable you to run as many videos as you desire without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to keep a web site. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can run databases and email address accounts, upload videos, and so on. At DuoServer.US, for instance, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that allow you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in one location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are intended for particular web content solely.